When you spend a lot of time in your office, it’s important that the space is safe to use and doesn’t put you at risk of injuries. Unfortunately, a lot of different issues may be present with the electrical work in offices in Memphis, TN due to how old many of the commercial buildings throughout the city are. Here are a few of the most common signs that electrical work is needed in your office space in Memphis.
You may encounter outlets that begin to spark when you attempt to plug in different types of electronic devices. This occurs when there’s too much buildup with the current and quickly becomes a fire hazard. The sparks are typically caused by decayed or corroded wires that are present in the wall.
The outlets may also be dead and don’t power your devices or electronics when you plug them into the wall. Dead outlets hint that an underlying issue is present from a poor connection or a tripped breaker. It’s important to hire a professional from a company like Rush Electric, which serves customers in Shelby County, to perform an inspection and determine the underlying issue to ensure the necessary repairs are made.
You may notice that the lights in your office start to flicker at times. Although this commonly occurs during storms in Memphis, it can also occur when the weather is clear if your office needs electrical work. The bulbs may be at the end of their lifespan or have loose wire connections. The lack of power flow requires an electrician to restore the lighting connections before there’s too much of a buildup of heat.
Tripping Circuit Breakers
Your circuit breaker may start to trip frequently as it attempts to avoid an overload when there’s too much current. An electrician can upgrade the circuit breaker to ensure it allows more current, and you can start to have more reliable electricity in the office.
When there are issues with the electrical wiring in the building, it can lead to unusual burning smells in different rooms. The smell may have an ozone or smoky stench due to items that have been burned near the baseboards or walls. If the odor is more similar to ozone, it’s likely the electrical wires have been burned. The cause of this issue is an overloaded circuit or melting wiring. Burning odors indicate there’s a high risk of an electrical fire in the building and requires immediate attention.
Feel free to call us today if you want to learn additional signs your office needs electrical work. Our experts can answer your questions and provide you with information about the services we provide to our customers in Memphis.